Monday, September 18, 2006

apple picking






My Apple Picking Montage


This weekend I went apple picking at Chudleigh’s, an apple farm in Milton, just west of Toronto. I only moved to Toronto two years ago; however, I have the impression that picking apples at Chudleigh’s is a bit of a tradition for many people who grew up here. The farm is over 100 acres and has approximately 28,000 apple trees. Apple picking usually begins in mid-August and usually winds down in late October. This year I decided to go early and a bunch of my favourite apples were ready to be picked. The variety of apples that I picked this weekend were McIntosh, Royal Gala and Spartan. Last year, I went in mid-October and I picked Jonagold and Russet’s. With a wide selection of apples which include: Tydemans, Wealthy, Ginger Gold, McIntosh, Spartan, Gala, Cortland, Empire, Red Delicious, Honey Crisp, Golden Delicious, Northern Spy, Jonagold, Russet, Mutsu and Fuji, Chudleigh’s is definitely the place to go apple picking. I had a great time walking around the farm choosing, picking and eating apples and enjoying the fresh air. With three large bags of apples in my apartment, I am positive you will be seeing an apple dessert post sometime soon.





Royal Gala


Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

blinddoc said...

Hi Sam

I just walk by and find how amazing your blog is.
So many beautiful pictures and delicious recipes!
You must be a talented chef and photographer.
I'm an Ophthalmologist in Taiwan.
Please keep blogging. Your blog is really eye-catching!
May I put it in my side bar? Please!

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know there were so many apple varieties!! I have a basket of apples I bought this weekend...so please hurry!!

Lis said...

I can not wait to see what you come up with! I'm going picking either this weekend or next so I'll be keeping and eye on you! ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am envious of all the apples you get to choose from! Definitely looking forward to what you're going to create with them!

Sam said...

Hi All,

Thanks for visiting and for all your sweet comments.
I really enjoyed apple picking. I enjoyed it so much, I think I might have to go back in a week or two for some different apple varieties.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Milton as a pre-teen/teen and remember with fondness Chudleigh's. At the time there were hay rides and a cute little gift shop where you could buy a piece of pie by the fire...Some of the best pie I've ever tasted! Thanks for the memories...