Saturday, May 20, 2006

meme: recipe collection





When Jasmine from Confessions of a Cardamom Addict tagged me for the recipe meme, I was leaving for New York. I tabled the meme for a short time due to work and CBBP #1. Now that I have a little breathing room, I thought I’d get down to it.

From where do you obtain the recipes you prepare?
My recipes come from a variety of sources. Many are from friends, family and places that I have worked. I like to construct recipes from principles and techniques with which I have a firm foundation. I also use my favourite cookbooks: for instance, I am fond of the Joy of Cooking. More recently, I find myself looking at recipes on the Internet, in magazines and within other food blogs.

How often do you cook a new recipe?
I like to prepare one new recipe a week—two or three if I am feeling ambitious. Otherwise, I’m pretty lazy.

Where do you store your favourite recipes?
I have a computer database in which I store many of my recipes, and I seem to come back to it time and again. Like Jasmine, my database is organized and cross-referenced in a number of ways: alphabet, category, flavour, ingredient, source, etc. I also have a binder where I store duplicates of the recipes. The recipes are in plastic sleeves, so that when I make a mess, which is often, they can be quickly wiped off.

How large is your recipe pile? Is it organized? If so, how?
My cookbooks and pastry books are getting unruly. During my recent trip to New York, I bought seven. Yes, my luggage ended up being heavy! I previously mentioned my online database, but since we are talking recipe pile, I have approximately 24 binders of recipes. They are labeled from A to Z and are organized by author. Other binders on my shelf include notes, research and clippings from magazines and blogs.

What is the oldest recipe in your “to try” pile?
Too old.

Are you ever going to make those recipes in your to try pile?
No—not all of them. Many are only there for inspiration or emergencies.

Do you follow a recipe exactly or modify as you go?
If I have never made a dessert/pastry before, I generally follow a recipe to the word. If I think a recipe is fantastic, I usually don’t mess with it. I only modify and change a recipe when I think it could be improved or when I wish to test its limits.

What is one new recipe that you’re scared to try?
I’m not afraid to try recipes. I’m often too lazy to make something that will take an inordinate amount of time. Except, when I have a purpose, I will be in the kitchen till the task is done.

Tag at least one new food blogger for this meme (“new” as in only blogging a few months). Kristina from the Branches of an Olive Tree

Tag at least one food blogger you visit regularly but never interacted with?
I post comments to anyone I visit regularly,

Tag at least one food blogger you constantly visit and leave comments.
Linda from
make life sweeter!


Tag anyone else you want.

Cheers,
Sam

Technorati Tags: ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great MEME response, Sam!

Judging from your picture I own most of the same cookbooks you do ... great minds think alike!

Sam said...

Thanks Ivonne. I love books!

Kristina said...

Dear Sam,
Thanks for the tag! Will respond as soon as the stress from driving downtown yesterday dissapates.....

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
» »