Wednesday, August 30, 2006

new york : post 7





Blue Ribbon Bakery

I convinced my friend Gwenessa to lunch with me at the Blue Ribbon Bakery, even though I had already had lunch an hour earlier. I would describe this Restaurant as a small, brightly lit and very comfortable bistro. Located in the basement of the restaurant is an old brick oven where all the restaurants artisan breads are made. The tapas like menu offers a good range of breads, meats, cheeses, appetizers and wines. Since we were not very hungry we sampled a range of their wonderful artisan breads and had some salads. When it came to dessert, the waiter suggested the warm chocolate chip bread pudding, which was topped with a giant scoop of vanilla ice cream and drenched with warm chocolate sauce. This dessert was clearly made with quality ingredients and may be one of the best bread puddings I have had. I was also told that the banana walnut bread pudding drizzled with banana caramel sauce is also good. The food at Blue Ribbon Bakery was made with fresh quality ingredients. The next time that I have a chance to dine here, I will definitely be ordering a lot more.

Blue Ribbon Bakery
35 Downing Street (Downing and Bedford)
New York
212 337 0404





Nougatine

I wasn’t really in the mood to put on a pair of dress pants and dress shoes for Jean Georges, so I decided that my friends and I would go to the more casual Nougatine which is located right before entering JG. The meal at Nougatine is creative and complex in its subtle simplicity. The food is made in an open style kitchen, the same kitchen as the food for JG. My prix-fixe lunch included: a tomato salad with mixed greens, bacon and a foam vinaigrette; crispy chicken made with rice krispies and cornflakes with candied carrots and squash in a yuzu sauce; dessert, consisted of a sabayon on poached apricots and cardamom shortbread with candied pistachios; all of which got washed down with my black cherry-yuzu soda. The food, the portions, the price and the service at Nougatine make this restaurant a wonderful choice and one that I would definitely recommend. Often overlooked because of JG and other fine dining establishments in NYC, Nougatine offers good food without pretension.

Nougatine
1 Central Park West (between 60th and 61st Sts.)
New York
212 299 3900

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: